Gaming chairs get a lot of stick and yet many gamers continue to invest a considerable amount of money in this item.
If you are new to gaming or considering making an investment in gaming chairs, you must be wondering what the fuss is all about.
If you do a quick Google search, you will find many resources that explain how gaming chairs are packed with features that will improve your gaming experience. But is it REALLY worth buying a gaming chair over a normal chair? Read on to find out if it will be a good investment for a zealous gamer like you!
Why Should you Get a Gaming Chair?
Simply put, a gaming chair will help with your postural and comfort needs when you spend long hours gaming in front of a screen.
They also look stylish when compared to the regular office chair. Some of the attractive features you can find in a gaming chair are racing-style graphics & design elements, vibrant colors, proper footrest, inclination, and good lumbar support. Plus, gaming chairs with massage features are also on the rise as it helps to relieve stress.
The Growth of Gaming Chairs
The first gaming chair was produced by DXRacer in 2006, a company that made seats for racing cars. When the company first started to make the chairs, there was little to no competition as the concept of gaming chairs was foreign.
This changed when Twitch was launched and having a good gaming setup became a significant part for most of the gammers. When businesses found out that gamers were ready to invest in gaming chairs, many started to manufacture.
Currently, the best gaming chair brands are Killabee, IKEA Marcus, Ficmax, GTRACING, and Homall. There are even brands such as DXRacer, Galaxy, and Ficmax that make the best gaming chairs for big and tall guys.
Different Types of Gaming Chairs
Below are some of the most common types of gaming chairs. All of these chairs will encourage proper sitting posture.
Please note that the features mentioned below are just an overview and will vary according to the brand you choose.
1. PC Gaming Chair
This is one of the most common types of gaming chair you will find in the market. It looks similar to a swivel office chair and is a perfect fit if you play PC games on a regular basis. The chair has cozy armrests, good headrests, and detachable cushioning.
- Easier movement and rotation
- Provides excellent support to the lumber and other critical areas of the body
- Offers great endurance
- Technology and design are similar to racing cars seats
2. Racer Chair
As the name implies, this chair is suitable if you play the racing types of games on a regular basis. Even though it will look like a PC gaming chair, it comes with additional cushioning, support, and adjustability.
- Uses genuine and PVC leather
- Mimics the racing environment to a great extent
- Offers supreme comfort and endurance
- Advanced models will have steering wheels, gas/brake foot pedals & support plates
3. Rocker Gaming Chair
Rocker gaming chairs look more similar to a recliner that is set on the floor. They don’t have any legs or swivels and are positioned on the floor in such a way that they can be rocked. This is a perfect fit if you are more into console and platform gaming.
- Providers supreme comfort
- Adjustable through reclining and tilting
- Customizable according to the gaming needs
- Most models have side pockets to store gaming controllers
4. Pedestal Gaming Chair
A pedestal gaming chair is a combination of swivel, rocker, and recliner chairs. These have comfortable cushioning on their backrest, armrests, and headrest. So, you can customize this chair according to various gaming needs. Plus, it is closer to the ground, so it will be a good fit for console gaming too.
- Extremely comfortable
- Easily access gaming equipment as it rotates with ease
- Tilted or lounged according to the preferred sitting position
- Advanced models come with racing accessories and built-in speakers
5. Beanbag Gaming Chair
Beanbag and comfort go hand in hand. They were widely used in the 1970s, but they have again started to gain popularity. This type of gaming chair does not come with backrests, armrests, and headrests. But they are lightweight and offer great flexibility.
- Flexible and lightweight
- Encourages to sit in an upright posture
- Looks fashionable
6. Hybrid Gaming Chair
Hybrid chairs are a combination or fusion of one or more types of gaming chairs. For example, you can merge the features of a pedestal gaming chair with a racer chair. A Hybrid gaming chair is pricy, but you can make this investment if you want to be more involved with the gameplay experience.
- Versatile design
- Includes the many benefits of various gaming chairs
- Advanced models come with built-in surround sound and game control mechanisms
Top 4 Benefits of Buying a Gaming Chair
Here are some of the main benefits you get to enjoy by purchasing a gaming chair over a regular chair.
- Good for health – Improper sitting posture may lead to carpal tunnel, spinal injuries, and torque on your back or wrists. To avoid these, you need a good gaming chair as they will offer lumbar support and protect you from future injuries.
- Durable – One of the main design aspects of gaming chairs is good durability. They are designed to withstand the affliction of your weight. These chairs are strong, durable, and will be able to support you properly.
- Improves concentration – When you’re comfortable, your concentration level on playing the game will be high. Generally, most gaming chairs come with a lot of features that will promote comfort. As a result, you will be able to play your games for a longer period.
- Adjustable – All the gaming chairs can be adjusted to the level of your computer screen. You can even adjust the armrests, inclination, and height of the back according to your level of comfort.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Gaming Chair
There are many disadvantages of choosing the wrong gaming chairs, here are some of the major ones.
- Lose the motivation to play games
- Weaken muscles due to wrong sitting position
- Posture may get worse in the long run
- Aggravate body pain
The risks of choosing the wrong gaming chair are huge. So, to help you on that note, there are some things to consider before you make the final purchase decision.
Price – If you are looking to buy a quality gaming chair, you have to invest a few hundred dollars. There are cheaper options, but the quality of the product will be out of the question. To buy an excellent gaming chair, you must not hold your purse strings tightly.
Reviews – if a gaming chair has many negative reviews online, steer clear from buying it. Read gaming chair review blogs and check out the Amazon ratings before you make a big purchase decision like this.
Purpose – Will you be using the chair only during gaming or you plan to use it as an office chair as well? Will it fit in your living room or gaming den? Make sure to answer these questions early on.
Performance enhancement – Most of the gaming chairs will claim that they will improve performance. But to find out if the claims are true, check for points related to posture, comfort, and long-term effects. You can even go to a physical store and check the chair before you place an order online.
Features – Every gaming chair comes with a different set of features. Some will have speakers, holders for controllers, and more customization options. So, decide which of the added extra features are important to you before you narrow down your choice.
Overall, these are the factors that make up for the best gaming chair.
- Comfort – Lumbar support, adjustable armrests, designed for your height and build
- Material – Leather, fabric, or mesh
- Style – PC gaming chairs, racer chairs, rockers, pedestal, beanbag, or hybrid gaming chairs
- Durability – Type of materials used, construction type, style, and usage type
Over to You
To directly answer your question, ‘Are gaming chairs really worth it?’ Yes, they are. If you want great comfort, good lumbar support, and something with a modern look, then a gaming chair is definitely worth it. Cost-wise, they may be on the higher end, but, they will save you from visiting the chiropractor in the future.
Hope we have covered some valuable information and you have learned everything there is to gaming chairs. In conclusion, such types of chairs are definitely an excellent addition to your gaming room setup.
If you want to find out the chairs that industry pros use, be sure to take a look at our blog on Best Gaming Chairs In 2023. You can use this as a reference to shortlist the best gaming chair brands and designs.